Tuesday evening, something came over me. I just did not feel well, I listened to my body (which I am not very good at the majority of time) and went to bed at 6 PM and did not wake up until 6 AM. After a couple of hours Wednesday morning, I felt like myself, THANK GOODNESS. Between that and how freezing cold it was on Wednesday, I was craving good ole fashioned grilled cheese and tomato soup. I Pinterest’d this recipe and went from there.
Because it was super simple, tasted amazing and fairly healthy (the tomato soup portion ;-)), I thought I would share 🙂
All set with the ingredients!! Time to add the whole tomatoes, onion wedges, chicken broth, dried herbs and salt and pepper to the saucepan.
While the soup was simmering, I got the grilled cheese sandwiches ready. I used our cutting board to keep everything nice and organized.
I used my Cuisinart Immersion Blender to blend everything into a yummy soup. We received this Smart Stick about 10 years ago as a gift and it is still going strong!! Plus, it is so much easier to use than pulling out the gigantic blender!!
Super simple and simply delicious!!
Homemade Tomato Soup
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (whole peeled)
- 1 1/2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 large onion, cut into large wedges
- 2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 10 slices of bread (I opted for yummy over healthy and used potato bread)
- 20 slices of American cheese, yellow
- approximately 4 tablespoons of butter
- Add tomatoes, onion wedges, chicken broth, salt, pepper, dried thyme and dried basil to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the soup is simmering, using room temperature butter, butter one side of each bread slice.
- Preheat frying pan to low/medium heat
- Add 2 slices of yellow American cheese and close sandwiches
- Place the sandwich on the frying pan and let each side get a nice golden brown, 2-3 minutes, and until the cheese is melted
- When you are making your last sandwich, blend the soup with the Cuisinart Smart Stick to your desired texture.
Serve and ENJOY!!!!